Monday, December 18, 2006

What I Want out of Life

I feel that it behooves me to clarify what I actually want out of life, and why I do some of the things I do. First and foremost, I want to be a writer and a scholar. For as long as I can remember (or at least since I realized I was not going to the NBA), I have been driven by intellectual pursuits and have found exceedingly great joy in these activities. I have had this preoccupation with where I go to college becuase I want to attend an institution that will give me the opportunity to achieve those goals, and in an enviornment that promotes such activities.

My first intellectual love is mathematics. Yes, I know I am not the best at BC Calculus or AP statistics, but there is something comforting about mathematics; the world makes sense! Mathematics is the most comforting of all the intellectual pursuits, and while I am very tallented with the integers, I never got the hang of taking mathematics exams. So I have accepted the fact that I am not the next Riemann, and turned my pursuits to literature.

Literature is my favorite form of art, and I believe that I have some talent from it. (While some may knock the last poem, it is Bukowskian, and while it is fragmented I am satsified). Literature also breeds a great amount of scholarship and intellectual argument, and I feel that I can contribute to it.

Philosophy is my third love, but philosophy is exceedingly frustrating. However, I believe that I am a talented enough thinker to be a sucessful philosophy scholar, and I want to pursue that.

Lastly, I have a great fascination with language and linguistics, and things that others find tedious I find fascinating.

With these interests, (math, literature, linguistics and philosophy), I believe that I am a fairly unique and diverse intellectual, and I want to pursue my scholarly endeavors in said disciplines, save for mathematics. I want to attened a top-tier institution, for I beleive that it will expose me to like-minded students and professors, that share in my "boring" intelllectual passions. All I want out of life is to be a respected scholar in whatever field(s) of study I enter. Of course I would love to be a published philosopher, poet, novelist and essayist, but who wouldnt?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home