Friday, November 10, 2006

To Waiting

As I have hitherto stated, I applied early to The University of Chicago. I havew an exceedingly great desire to be accepted, but due to the fact that I tend to worry and worry and worry about the future, I have found myself very on edge lately. It is surreal to think that college looms just around the bend, and it is a concept I am struggling to grasp. I am second guessing myself on how I presented myself on the application, and I feel as if I may have blown my chances. Anticipate another post akin to this one as decision time nears (December 15). I feel as if I am qualified, the right type of intellectual, but at this point I have no idea.

About the poetry I have been writing, please realize that I am being slightly overdramatic in my verse. Likening where I go to school to the verdict of eternal fate is pushing it even for me. I have found that I can be
effectively overdramatic, but to those who read it please do not be too deeply affected by it. I am fairly pleased with how I am developing my style in this blank verse poetry, but I have light years to go.


To Waiting

What a plague is this wait,
In anticipation of a climactic action.
How it sets my nerves ablaze and causes
My blood to boil.

The minutes past painfully slow,
It is as if a parasite is slowly eating away at my flesh.

Oh divine judge-

Send me a sign if I shall be
Lifted up with a favorable outcome,
Or if I shall have all my desires dashed
By this verdict of cosmic importance.

What cruel beast forces me to remain in this purgatory?!
Not knowing what will befall me.

To count the time away,
In a manic state, void of productivity.

What evildoings have I committed
So that my fate is thus?

My mind is weighted down by this eminent pronouncement.
My thoughts are drowned by this elephant in the room, and
My nightmares are overcome by this demonic presence.

What heartless creator made man with this self-consciousness?
To know the magnitude of future events,
And to be so overcome by them,
To lose the ability to survive in the present?

How I abhor my nervous and my wandering mind
That is obsessed with the future, and leaves my present behind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home