Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I Dare You, Poseidon!

Going along with the theme of the previous post, I have written another poem to try to console myself with this stressful time of applying to colleges, especially applying early to The University of Chicago. I know I am not a poet, but at least this poem ends on a positive note.



I Dare You, Poseidon!


How canst thou be so cruel,
Oh rulers of the heavenly realm?

Why must we remain in this purgatory,
Not knowing if we are saved or not?

Porque debo que vivir como esto?
Sin conociendo si o no yo iría al reino celestial!

The anxiety is enough to tear the souls out of men’s’ hearts.
What sense this world is lacking!
Who decided that so few men are saved, and the majority are banished to a life of shame?

Oh cruel master, what transgressions have I committed to deserve such fate!

Erasmus felt my same anxiety, while
Luther said that only true faith can save one, and
Calvin said that we are predestined to be saved or not.

I am Erasmus, waiting out my days of unproductivity,
Unable to be of any use to mankind!

My talents are great, but what good am I if I am not among the elect?!

Oh to waste the fruits of the lord, obsessing over if I will be let into his kingdom?
Heavenly rulers, do tell if I am to dwell in your kingdom or not,
Or am I wasting all of this time and energy?

If only this anxiety could inspire great poetry,
But no, my powerful thoughts do not translate into words.
What am I turning into?

But is Erasmus right???

Must I remain in between, or follow the wisdom of Luther, and have faith that
Those heavenly minds will smile upon me, when they come to my name in the book of life?

Oh, but I can see the impending winter of discontent,
Whence all I can do is done, and I must wait for my fate?

By the power of verse, I have worked it out!Be gone, you accursed lords of the heavenly realms!

You cannot contain my will!

I am Odysseus, challenging Poseidon and with great power ending up as the victor!

It shall be made glorious summer, and a glorious four years, which lead to another glorious four years! Oh rulers of the heavens, I dare you to deny me access into your realm!

Erasmus is wrong!
Calvin is wrong!
Luther is wrong!

But collectively, you are on track. Oh Erasmus, heed the wisdom of Luther and believe, and if given the potential that Calvin spoke of, you shall be great!

So I invoke you Poseidon- I dare you to keep me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home