Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Youthful Scholar

In the past month or so I have written a few poems, a couple essays, and have read as much as I could. My weekends were busy and I had prior obligations but I did my best to hold true to my occupation as an amateur scholar, philosopher and poet. My poems are in a state of being edited right now, and I am nearing the point where I may look to show them to people who could help me publish one or more of them, or just a general way to get published. I have been hesitant to post them, but I may post one or two in the coming weeks. The last order of business to discuss is my anxiety over college. I should be informed of my acceptance, rejection or other for most of my schools in two and a half weeks to a month, and I am quite nervous. I believe that most of my colleges have either neglected to look at my blog or have already looked at it and posting this will not effect their decision. As of right now I have not a dang clue where I want to go, and I am saying that with complete honesty. Unfortunately, I doubt that I will be accepted to any of the ones I applied to, but nightmare scenarios can wait.


As I have been reading Nietzsche lately, I was inspired to write a piece in his style. I entitled it, The Youthful Scholar. I am unsure if I will continue writing little essays in this style, but I fear that it is not dangerous to publish this.

The youthful scholar. Man at his most learned is a scholar. He is not only a repository for knowledge, but the most analytical of thinkers. A scholar must be well versed in the greatest text heretofore produced by man, and but be able to remove himself from his society enough to be as objective as possible, but still give a contemporary perspective on what he (or she) is reading. He must not use scholarship to his own personal ends, especially political. This is not to say he shouldn’t attempt to make a living on his status as a scholar, but he should not corrupt prior text to achieve his own ends.

The youthful scholar must be wise beyond his year, and make up for time he was not allotted. Becoming a scholar is a process that takes complete devotion and a lifetime of reading, discussion and writing to achieve status. He must not be distracted by the distractions and indulgences of the world, and work to be among those who have had more time to read, write and discuss.

He is not the rarest breed of human, but in today's culture he is clearly among the rarest. He is not nobler than any other man, but the young scholar is learned beyond his years and in many cases also wise beyond his years. Note that these do not always go together, but history says that they tend to. The young scholar has unlimited ambition, and wants nothing more than to read, write and discuss his subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home