Friday, September 22, 2006

Diez Libros Leer

As my last year a before I enter the semi-real world of University, I am inspired to make a vow to read ten wonderful works of world literature. I have been considering reading some of these works for a considerable amount of time. On a whim, I have decided to make a list of ten books to read by the end of the year. Here is my list:

1. Faust 1 and 2 or The Sorrow of Young Werther by Geothe
2. The Brothers Karamazov (finish) by Dostoyevski
3. The Odyssey by Homer
4. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
5. Thus Spake Zarathustra by Nietzsche
6. The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway
7. The Three Sisters by Chekhov
8. Wuthering Heights by Bronte
9. The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut
10. The Sound and the Fury or Absalom, Absalom!
I am asking for more suggestions. I refuse to read Treasure Island by Stevenson, in order to spite my father. He has been attempting to persuade me to read it for some time, but I refuse. Hahaha.

1 Comments:

Blogger therapeuter said...

Gee. I didn't read any of the books you listed except Nietzsche's. Not much of a literary one here, but rather theoretical. On the theoretical side, however, I would make just one suggestion for you to read before college: Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality, vol 1. This little book when I read it transformed my vision of left wing sentiment, teaching you all about power, about its operation, and about "resistance against power as the reinforcement of power". About the traps that the Left in universities often falls into.

Have you read all the classics? Plato and Aristotle? Well, by the time you are about to finish undergradute, I recommend you read Eric Voegelin. That's extremely advanced, so save it for later.

Don't forget to learn a couple of widely different foreign languages at college. And pick up some math if you have time.

Bye.

3:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home