Sunday, July 23, 2006

Read The End of Poverty by Sachs

As a person who has an excessive amount of anxiety over almost everything, some things that do not warrant it and some that do (where I am going to college, my driving test, if I am ever going to be a respected scholar, if I am going to die sooner rather than later, et cetera), I am taken aback by the state of poverty in Africa. I recently read The End of Poverty by Jeffery D. Sachs. The book is brilliant, and must be read by everyone. He is a brilliant economist and scholar, and having worked in Bolivia, Poland and Russia as well as other countries with economic policies, to varying degrees of success. However, he has been more successful than not. Sachs' explanations are lucid to the non-economist (I am clearly not an economist, more of a thinker on world affairs) and he presents plans of action for all countries in extreme poverty. I have written before about what must be done, and shockingly some of our ideas overlap. This is due to a shared idealism, perception qualities, and sheer luck on my part. However, I am somewhat taken aback by this fact. I am a naive idealist, and Sachs has been accused of being one. Some of my ideas are unrealistic (for example I would like to see an international organization of human rights) and it is unsettling that he agrees with me. I urge everyone to read the book, and in referece to my previous post, I am working on Globalization right now, and Sachs' book has influenced me. Lastly, I would love to meet Mr. Sachs and, if by some miracle I get into Columbia where he is head of the Earth Institute, I am more interested in economics due to this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home