Sunday, July 16, 2006

Consumerism, Globalization and Technology

I have been reading a lot of periodicals lately, as well as books on current events and I am disturbed by some of the things that I have found. I am going to write my thoughts into three ideas. The three things that I am questioning are the benefits of consumerism, globalization and technology. I am aware that they overlap, but they are very different animals. What I mean by “benefits” is if these things improve society, or would humanity be better without them. I know that these definitions needs some work, but it is what I have now.

Consumerism is something that I have recently found troubling. The fact that I can go buy a Pepsi anywhere that I want is beginning to bother me. I don’t need to go into a museum and have any beverage I want readily available to me, as with a café or a McDonalds. It is highly troubling that some days I eat three meals out of the house. I can drive my Nissan (I don’t have a car but it is for the effect) to Dunkin’ Donuts, then go do some shopping at a mall, eat at the Subway there. Then I can go to a movie and have Pizza Hut for dinner, and if I need some hangers or some juice I can go to Wal-Mart. Is this the picture of the society that I want to live in? Is consumerism beneficial to society?

Next is globalization good for society and the earth? I have no thoughts to expound upon this concept, but I am asking for any ideas. The most complex of these three ideas is if technology is good for society. This is the most complex of the three ideas that I am going to write about and something that philosophers have debated for over two centuries. I am unsure exactly where I stand on these three issues, but I know that I am at least mildly disturbed by them. I plan to write on these topics very soon. Regardless, we as a civilization have to deal with countless social and environmental problems due to these things, and I am unsure what we are to do about this.

In writing this I hoped to present ideas and I am asking for feedback (insulting me is not an option).I want to present the ideas and get anyone who cares enough to read this blog to think about them. I plan to answer these questions when I am more knowledgeable on the subject and have something to contribute.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sage said...

Have I got a book for you! Read Tom Slee's "No One Makes You Shop at Wal-Mart." It deals with many of the issues you're raising. Also read Naomi Klein's "No Logo" if you haven't already. Her "Fences and Windows" is also a good one for globalization.

My stance: Consumerism is at attitude of selfish self-destruction. Using up our resources which are quickly diminishing (see the film "End of Suburbia," then read some of the books they discuss) in order to get immediate gratification for all our perceived needs is not keeping an eye on the future. It will be our downfall.

On globalization: I see you've read some Chomsky. He's got a great little reader on globalization full of handy info. As Marshall McLuhan said about the global village, it could go really well having so many neighbours, but it could also be disasterous dealing with so many conflicting views. We have to be very careful making a society that tries to involve everyone in the world. I don't think we've been careful at all. See the film "Life and Debt" for a great picture of how our system works. The powers that be are trying to make it seem they want to get everyone on an equal footing, but really they're using globalization as a means to further exploit less powerful nations to an outrageous degree. Also, check out how well NAFTA has benefitted Mexico - try to get both sides of this story. The CCPA Monitor (on-line) has some good articles.

Now, I'm a left-winger, so someone else can give you the other side - or you can find it in most mainstream media. (See also "Manufacturing Consent" - the film or read the book - more Chomsky)

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home