Friday, May 26, 2006

An Extremely Belated Post

I apologize for not writing anything in over a month. I have been exceedingly busy, between school, the SAT and SAT II, the AP test, and my own anxiety about getting into college. I have been writing a little, and I am working on an extended piece that I hope will, at some time in the future, be worthy of publication. I have been thinking on religious matters, and how I view religion, assuming I will become a professor of philosophy, specializing in the philosophy of religion.

As a non-believer, I am hostile towards religion from the get-go. However, I am enthralled by religion and it is a fascinating subject from philosophical, historical, and literary standpoints. I have determined that I do not like the institution of religion, and prefer religion to be something scholarly, not something that is practiced. I am undedicated if the world is ready (to quote John Stuart Mill) “make its descent from religion.” Assuming that anywhere from three to four trillion people classify themselves as Christians or Muslims in some capacity, expunging religion as a practicing institution seems to be an impossibility. I am not calling for the end of religion (at this point, at least) but I am contemplating if it would be a good thing, and if it could be done within the next millennium. So, can an atheistic world function, and if so would it be a place more similar to paradise or hell. Note that I am not hinting at communism. Anyone who knows me knows that I am VERY anti-communist.



I am taking the SAT II World History test June 3, and after that I intend to post much more on this blog, and I have written pieces but have not edited them enough to be published, or it is not the right time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to reading more on this subject. Good luck on the reat of your exams. In the meantime, I think you are referring to three to four billion Chrisians or Muslims, not trillion.
Keep it up! - Lawrence

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home