Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Greatest Baseball Team of All Time

While my blog consists primarily of philosophical, historical and political commentary, I have decided to indulge one of my non-intellectual interests; baseball. I have always liked baseball, and was decent at it in my younger years. I can still throw a baseball fairly well, but I could and still cannot hit. The history of baseball is something I have always loved, and seeing as I have been told I have the ‘body of a scholar’ it behooves me to stick to it. Around the time the All-Century Team was released, I made my own list. I have recently tweaked it slightly, and below is my team. The number of players was fairly arbitrary, but it is my team and I can do what I please. If I must take off three players to get down to twenty-five, I would remove Mike Schmidt, Willie Mays, and Warren Spahn. I encourage comments, and I know that it is controversial, but I have done my research, and I believe I know what I am talking about. I do not want to discuss Bonds and the steroids fiasco, and look up Arky Vaughan’s statistics if you have any questions. I have included Satchel Paige and Bob Gibson, but I know that it is controversial. However I deemed them too great that I could not leave them off the list.


C Yogi Berra
C Josh Gibson
1 Lou Gehrig
1 Jimmie Foxx
2 Joe Morgan
2 Rogers Hornsby
3 Mike Schmidt
3 Wade Boggs
S Honus Wagner
S Arky Vaughan
O Babe Ruth
O Ty Cobb
O Barry Bonds
O Ted Williams
O Willie Mays
O Stan Musial
P Walter Johnson
P Lefty Grove
P Christy Mathewson
P Cy Young
P Pete Alexander
P Warren Spahn
P Sandy Koufax
P Bob Gibson
P Ed Walsh
P Satchel Paige
P Roger Clemens
R Mariano Rivera

Notable exceptions

1B Buck Leonard
2B Jackie Robinson
2B Nap Lajoie
3B George Brett
3B Aaron "Bleepin'" Boone
SS Cal Ripken
SS-1B Ernie Banks
OF Rickey Henderson
OF Al Simmons
OF Joe Dimaggio
OF Roberto Clemente
OF Ken Griffey, Jr.
OF Henry Aaron
P Steve Carlton
P Greg Maddux
P Nolan Ryan
P Randy Johnson
P Grover Cleveland Alexander
UT Pete Rose
UT Paul Molitor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home