Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Reductio ad Absurdum: Deus Existat

While I am an atheist, and a proud atheist at that, I reached the conclusion that God did not exist by attempting to find a proof for God. However, know that there is not set criteria for determining if God exists. If God himself spoke to me, and partook in an act that violated the laws of nature or the laws of physics, then I would believe in his existence as a higher being. Yet this would not prove his omnipotence or that he was omnipowerful (do not tell me that that is not a word). It would not prove that he was the creator, or that he was the only higher-power. But it would prove that “God” or something along those lines existed.

Now, in a world where God does not talk to man how can we determine criteria for his existence? We are left to formulate the criteria for ourselves. However, if we are not divine beings, how can we attempt to determine if God does exist or if God does not exist? Aquinas attempted to determine that God did exist, and wrote a plethora of proofs trying to justify it. Descartes (cogito ergo sum) was left with no other option to turn to but that God existed. However, how can we trust these mortals? (I know Aquinas was sainted but that is beside the point; moreover I do not believe in miracles except in the case of the Denver Broncos and New York Yankees).

While it may appear illogical or irrational to attempt to find a proof for God in the present life (I do not believe in other lives, or heaven and hell but being as I am a stupid human I cannot be sure), we must at least attempt to make theological progress, and because God’s existence or nonexistence is of utmost importance. For if (some) Christian Doctrine or other religious doctrine is true and we must be servants of God in this life or we will be banished to eternal damnation we must at least explore His existence somewhat.

But where ought we to start looking for God? The fact that we exist is enough for many, or the fact that I am writing this and that you are reading it and we can discuss the existence of God is worthy of the proof of his existence. Yet I desire to examine it further. Could the fact that there are mathematical constants prove God? Or what about the fact that there is a universe that (probably) had a definite beginning (fourteen billion years or so ago) proves God. Others point to scripture; in many respects that notion is losing favor, but it is far from dead. Some point to the fact that there are bad things in the world to the fact that God does not exist. But the immense flaw that has plagued history of centuries is the assumption that is God exists he is good. Many atheists I have talked to are angry at the world and claim that God doesn’t exist because of it. But why do we assume that God is good and that God loves us; scripture! That is and the fact that we would hope that he is good, but we have no proof or reason to make the key jump to the assumption that if God exists he is good.

These are far from the only questions in this reductio ad absurdum argument that can be asked, but it is a descent sampling. The fact is that there are countless other arguments (cosmological, ontological, etc.) for his existence, but from the ones that I have examened, which include all that I could think of or read about, I have determined that God does not exist. There is no reason for him to, and I have seen no proof of his existence. Will writing this condemn me to a life of eternal damnation even though I am a moral person; possibly, but I sure as hell hope not. The fact remains that I see no proof of the existence of God, and therefore I conclude that he indeed does not exist.

Note that these are not even close to all my thoughts on this matter but I felt it time to write them down and publish them, and there was enough for a worthwhile post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isaiah DeRose said...

The funny thing is there is a way to formulate that there is a God. First of all we christians are told to have faith, and in the bible there is a verse "blessed is he who has not seen and yet believes". I believe that this period of time, a time absent of obvious actions and miracles of God is a time where humans are to use what we know, written in the holy bible, to try to do God's will oon earth, before the time of tribulation (read revelations).
But in fact, there are miracles happening every day in people's hearts. Try listening to a christian radio channel with a program about how criminals have turned to christ and such. Truth is, whether it is self-induced or spiritually given, there is a sense of absolute euphoria that christians get when having an epiphany or while being very close to God. This is a real happening, and I personally know someone who was cured of a heroine hangover immediately because of one of these events.
Also, while we don't know how to side on every issue, we have a given morality that is obvious to know how to follow.
So Broscius, God does exist today, and I have had experiences which lead me to put absolute faith in Him. Athiests believe we're recklessly and aimlessly rambling along, but God is quietly doing miracles and whispering his will, even today.
Theres my opinion.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Isaiah DeRose said...

P.S. Let me know if you wanna debate about this, or have comments on inconsistencies in my comment; I love this stuff

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home