Saturday, November 26, 2005

On Mathematical Truths

I would like to give some of my feeling on Mathematics. First it is pertinent to state that I am an extreme fan of mathematics to the point that the integers have become a love obsession of mine. What I have found is that there is growing support for the fact that numbers are personal invention, and that they are man made concoctions that would cease to exist were it not for humanity. I hope to dispel this notion. However, I am aware that my arguments are not completely developed, and if I am indeed in the wrong it is due to the fact that I want the position I am arguing for to be fact so badly.

The first argument in favor of integers being in existence independent of humans is the fact that there is that the universe is finite. In this particular galaxy, there are eight or nine planets depending on who you ask, my condolences to Pluto. The fact that there are certain quantities of things independent of humanity speaks to the notion that numbers exist. Critics say that numbers are adjectives or qualities that humans have given to entities. However, while I planet cannot be “beautiful” because there are not any humans to remark on its pulchritude, the planet still has oneness.

Another argument is the entity of numbers such as π and φ. The fact that numbers such as these exist independent of humanity, and mathematicians only discover these numbers is more ammunition for my argument. People did not create these numbers, but they did title them.

One argument that could be made is that Homo sapiens invented zero (0). In space, there is no void, sorry Democritus, so there cannot be a place where there is nothing. There is still space and time wherever one is, and therefore the notion of “nothingness” is impossible. An object may be devoid of something, but not of everything, hence the fact that nothing can be completely void, “the void” is a misnomer.

This has been an immensely abbreviated argument in favor of mathematical truths existing independent of humans. It shall be elaborated on, just not at the present time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home