Saturday, November 12, 2005

On Rebbe Nachman of Breslov

While I was in Israel this summer, my groupmates (many of who I miss) and I came across a sect of Judaism that followed Reb Nachman of Breslov, a "cult" I guess. At the time it was something fun to be a part of, and to intigrate ourselves in the Israeli Jewish society. However, upon returning to my fatherland, when I had access to "la red" (internet in Spanish. I just thinks its interesting how what takes one syllable to say in Spanish takes three in English), and I researched Reb (Rebbe, Rabbi) Nachman, and I found how interesting he really is. Basically, he was the Grandson of the Baal Shem Tov, and was greatly moved by the lineage that he was carrying. Nachman was a very upright individual, and a poweful spiritual leader. However, because he passed away so early in his life, aged less than two score, and the great following he amassed in that short period of time gives him almost cult-like status. Nachman even has his own chant, and it is written all over the place in Israel, including Tzfat (צפת) and outside Hezekiah's tunnell. I encourage all to research Nachman of Breslov on the internet, and some of his quotes are powerful and moving. I end with the Nachman chant,

נ
נח
נחמ
נחמן מאומן

This transliterates as

Nah
Nach (the hebrew letter Chet ח is used here, and it has the CH sound)
Nachmah
Nachman Mae-Uman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home