Monday, November 21, 2005

On my Religious Identity

One of my passions, something that I constantly think and wonder about is the topic of religion. I have come to the conclusion that God does not exist. However, I am still a Jew by birth, and I do not want to alienate myself from my heritage. Some may consider this (I hate to use clichés, but it is applicable here) "having your cake and eating it too." Yet I still care about the world Jewish community, am attempting to teach myself the language of the Jews (Hebrew, עברית), with some success mind you, and if I see a Jew it will not take me long to point out to you that he/she is Jewish (Einstein, Adam Sandler, Natelie Portman, et cetera). However, I only go to services if I have no other option. Yet I do voluntaritly attend the monthly "Teen Class" of my rabbi. Rabbi Scholnic (sorry if I misspelled that Rabbi) is one of my favourite people, and I do not have many role models or people that I admire (my role models include Nietzsche, Russell, you get the idea), but the Rabbi is up there. I do this to still stay within the Jewish community, but the fundamental issue is that I do not believe in God. In rescent years, there have been two major Jewish movements that are still Jewish, but do not ascribe to a dogmatic interpretation of Judaism. These are the Jewish Humanists, and the Reconstructionist Jews, the former of which I would consider joining.

I do not know if I hate religion or not, but I feel that once we have the groundwork for human morality, religion should be a neglegible part of society. Yet this is an ideal, and I know that if it were not for religion, life for many millions of people would have incredibly less meaning. Ideally, I would want the death of religion, but it is unrealistic. So, we are left to live with religion, and accept that it is here to stay. I do have great respect for some religious leaders (Pope John Paul II, some of the Rabbis I met on Pilgrimage, yes I went to Israel for five weeks this summer), but when one looks at the futile conflict in the Middle East, the Crusades, the Inquisition, and so on one cannot help but be angry at religion. But I cannot bring down religion, and I feel that man is not ready to live a life without God, so I accept religion, and still identify myself as an Jew who does not believe in God. I used to think that becuase this violates the first commandment I cannot do this, but the Jewish Humanists fought for this right, and therefore I feel able to identify myself as such. I still am a supporter of the Jews, I am a huge Zionist, and Israeli culture is something I feel that I understand and could see myself living in. My favourite rapper is סאבלימינל (Subliminal), real name Kobi Shimoni. He is part of תּאּקּטּ (T.A.C.T.) All-Stars, a super-group of Israeli hip-hop. I also like Matisyahu, and, as you can see from my use of it, I love the Hebrew Language. As a closing note, my plan is (if I get into Princeton, or another elite college where I can do this) is to the summer of my junior year of college study in Israel ( ישראל), and the summer of my senior study at Cambridge or Oxford, and take a symester and study at one of those. All in all, I was born a Jew, I care about the Jews, but I do not believe in God. You be the judge.

3 Comments:

Blogger Justin said...

how does it feel to have nobody commenting on your blog besides me and khalid? is it sweet?

11:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have you ever given God a chance to be believed in by you? Have you ever TRIED to observe a Shabbat? Have you ever wondered why Jews still exists, after having been targeted for eradication for thousands of years by dozens of nations, all of whom were vastly superior to the Jews in size and power?

Have you ever truely given God a chance? Don't you wonder, sometimes, how a 1-minute act by a man and woman can result in a new human being? One who has eyes that see, ears that hear, and an additional intricate system of organs, muscles, bones, etc which allow him to survive, grow, love, give and receive pleasure?

Doesn't any of that give you pause for thought?

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very moving

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home